4 August 2019

Peterborough Sculpture Park

Untitled, 1989 | Outside in


I am on a hunt for public sculptures in Peterborough and my research told me that I can find many of them in Thorpe Meadows. This park is home to Nene Park's purpose-built rowing lake and riverside walks. It is about 7 minutes drive from my home and it has a small car park - free for one hour and £2.50 for 24 hours.

Thorpe Meadows is also home to Peterborough Sculpture Park, where there are 15 public sculptures on permanent display - 13 on the south side of Peterborough Rowing Course near to River Nene and two on north side of the rowing course and beside Longthorpe Parkway. The sculpture trail is of both surfaced and grass patch.

The truth is I have always wanted to visit the sculpture park to check out the public art pieces but I always postpone it. Then a few weeks ago I finally went there to work on the June segment of my Project 12 photography project. I managed to see the two sculptures in the north side of the rowing course and decided to do a photography project on the sculpture park and the rest of the 25 or so public sculptures owned by Peterborough and found scattered around the city.


Peterborough Sculpture Park is a big area to cover so it will take me a few days spread out in weeks or months to come to photograph at a leisurely pace the following public sculptures:
  1. John Foster - Outside in
  2. Tolleck Winner - People
  3. Emmanuel Jegede - Endless Omen
  4. Elizabeth Cooke - Cormorant
  5. Anne Nicholson - Creature
  6. Sokan Douglas Camp - Festival Boat
  7. Nicholas Pope - Odd Oaks
  8. Christine Angus - Under the Ocean, Under the Sea
  9. Miles Davies - Untitled, 1990
  10. Barry Mason - Helios XVI
  11. Jane Ackroyd - Little Prince
  12. Simon Perry - Quarry
  13. Richard Gibson, Lee Mawby & David Whatley - Regeneration
  14. Lee Grandjean - Peterborough Arch
  15. Miles Davies - Untitled, 1989