1 August 2019

6/12: Peterborough Arch


Half-way into my personal monthly photography project I chose a theme that does not evoke the seasonal weather. Instead, I chose a physical structure just like February's theme on city bridges. For the June segment of Project 12 I chose public sculpture. The city of Peterborough has many public sculptures and many can be found in Peterborough Sculpture Park in Thorpe Meadows.

So, one early Sunday morning I drove down to Thorpe Meadows to scope out the many sculptures in the park. I photographed the Peterborough Arch by sculptor Lee Grandjean for this monthly project. From afar and up close, Peterborough Arch is a magnificent sight. Located near Longthorpe Parkway close to another sculpture, it was quite a long walk to the sculpture from the carpark.

All photos were taken with a micro four thirds camera (https://amzn.to/32xVLB8) attached with a telephoto zoom lens (https://amzn.to/32vyos2).

According to Peterborough Sculpture Trust on Peterborough Arch:
This work on the Parkway side of Thorpe Meadows is site specific, and aligns with the front of Peterborough Cathedral. Made out of Oroko wood, a figure moves through a gateway structure, although this is often confused as viewers speed along in their cars.

After my two-hour stay in the park I resolved to go back again to complete photographing the other public sculptures in Peterborough Sculpture Park in Thorpe Meadows and do a different project just on these structures. So watch this space!

(July is next in the series)