24 August 2019

Sentinel by Jason Thomson

Sentinel by Jason Thomson

The Sentinel was created from a standing dead tree killed by Dutch Elm disease. The Nene Park Trust commissioned the sculpture from artist Jason Thomson who made it in 2003. Thomson's design reflected thousands of years of human influence on the land which makes up the park including a Roman soldier, the trucks used to extract gravel from the lakes in the 1970s as well as the wildlife found in the park. (Source: Peterborough Telegraph)

One Saturday afternoon, we went to Ferry Meadows to join our community's family fun day picnic. After lunch, I brought my older son for a walk planning to take some silhouettes for my July photography project and also to continue with my public sculpture photography project on our way to Thorpe Meadows.

All photos were taken with a micro four thirds camera (https://amzn.to/2K8BUl6) attached with a telephoto zoom lens (https://amzn.to/2YvqiMJ).

I knew Ferry Meadows have several public sculptures that we have passed by several times in previous visits so I might as well take some photos along the way. So, on this long walk to Thorpe Meadows I took photos of Thomson's Sentinel, Dawson's Bird in Flight and Jeni Cairns' metal sculpture. It was a windy day and rained heavily on our way back and thankfully I've managed to take all the photos I needed before the rains.