25 August 2019

Metal sculpture by Jeni Cairns

Metal sculpture by Jeni Cairns

One Saturday afternoon, we went to Ferry Meadows to join our community's family fun day picnic. After lunch, I brought my older son for a walk planning to take some silhouettes for my July photography project and also to continue with my public sculpture photography project when we arrived at Thorpe Meadows.

Before we cross Goldie Bridge on our way to Thorpe Meadows, there is a large metal sculpture we have passed by a few times before when we walk around Ferry Meadows and Orton Mere. This metal sculpture, composed of three panels, is by local artist Jeni Cairns and was the focal point of improvements done to Nene Park in 2017. It was indeed quite a stunning distraction from the normal scene when we first came across it in early 2018.

All photos were taken with a micro four thirds camera (https://amzn.to/2K8BUl6) attached with a telephoto zoom lens (https://amzn.to/2YvqiMJ).

I knew Ferry Meadows have several public sculptures that we have passed by several times in previous visits so I decided to take some photos along the way. So, on this long walk to Thorpe Meadows I took photos of Thomson's Sentinel, Dawson's Bird in Flight and Jeni Cairns' metal sculpture. It was a windy day and rained heavily on our way back but thankfully I've managed to take all the photos I needed before the rains.