8 August 2019

7/12: Silhouettes


For the midsummer month of July I chose the theme Silhouettes for my monthly photography project. I wanted to do something creative and the dramatic skies we have during July was perfect for some strikingly dramatic photographs.

Technique-wise, I did some research before the shoot but already know the basics but just wanted to make sure I got it right. The method in shooting silhouette photography is simple - place the subject in front of a bright background which is also where you base your exposure. However, composition is the tricky part and is where I struggle during this photoshoot.

All photos were taken with a micro four thirds camera (https://amzn.to/2YAif1s) attached with a telephoto zoom lens (https://amzn.to/2OtnkIP).

One Saturday afternoon, we went to Ferry Meadows to join in our community's family fun day picnic. After lunch, I brought my son for a walk planning to take some silhouettes along the way and also to continue with my public sculpture photography project. My son was a reluctant subject for a couple of silhouette photos on this post. All photos posted here were from Orton Mere and Thorpe Meadows except for one of trees with a sunburst that was shot near our house.

(August is next in the series)