13 September 2019

8/12: On the beach


The beach - sun, sea, and golden sands - sums up many people's idea of a perfect holiday destination. (Tom Ang's book on photography)

Ang's words were definitely on the minds of the hundreds of people, including 15 of us from Peterborough, as they flocked to Skegness Beach on a hot and sunny Sunday, a day before the Summer Bank Holiday.

All photos were taken with a micro four thirds camera (https://amzn.to/2Ui1uY3) attached with a telephoto zoom lens (https://amzn.to/2ZsjEwf).

For my photography project for the late summer month of August I chose the subject 'On the beach.' Although not exactly what I had in mind for this month, a late invite to celebrate a friend's birthday in Skegness Beach changed my earlier plan of doing a combination of the topics 'On the tourist trail' and 'Street signs' in Peterborough.

The changed plan to photographing the beach turned out to be a fitting subject to mark the end of summer in the United Kingdom. It has been raining a few weeks before but turned back to hot and sunny towards the end of the month.

Skegness Beach was an hour and a half drive from Peterborough by car. We left our home city at around noon time and arrived with hardly any space to park the car and the beach was already crowded with people.

For the project, I just stood somewhere safe for my camera from sand and seawater, observed and took holiday snapshots when it interest me. As it was very hot and crowded, I decided to just document our visit for memories' sake. However, I did took a few photos with considered compositions like shadows and sunburst photos fitting for the bright sun we had that day. My older son contributed to some of the photos of our time on the beach as he borrowed my camera for awhile out of boredom.

Note: I wrote a separate blogpost of our travel to Skegness Beach

(September is next in the series)