19 June 2023

Ye Olde Fighting Cocks - the oldest pub (reputedly) in England

 St Albans | Cathedral inside and outside | Roman Theatre 


In January 2022 I visited the cathedral city of St Albans as I have a few hours to spare waiting for my wife attending lessons from the nearby university in Hatfield. The city is just a 15-minute drive from Hatfield, which is an hour and 15 minutes drive from my city of Peterborough. I decided to just visit two famous places in the city that are close to each other - St Albans Cathedral and the ruins of the Roman Theatre of Verulamium.


After exiting Verulamium Park and just before I start to climb the hill to the cathedral I pass by this unassuming old-looking pub, Ye Olde Fighting Cocks. According to Wikipedia:"It is one of several pubs that lay claim to being the oldest in England, claiming to have been in business since 793 AD. The pub was once recognized as the oldest in England by the Guinness World Records, but this title was wrested in 2000. The building is described by Historic England as being of 16th-century appearance, but as the earliest date for which it can be proved to have been licensed is 1756, and even that date is not certain, its claim to this record is somewhat uncertain."


As I was driving that day I decided not to go inside to have a pint. I would have enjoyed looking at its beautiful interior as seen from some photos I saw in the internet while jugging down a pint of ale. But that will be for another visit to this city hopefully longer next time around.


All photos were taken with a micro four thirds camera (https://amzn.to/2Qjtg8h) attached with a telephoto zoom lens (https://amzn.to/32TeGWA).