20 July 2019

Wordless Wednesday 6-8 backstories


This is the third of the series on Wordless Wednesday backstories. There is no particular theme in these photos. The first two photos were captured during our summer family travels while the third one is an image from a friend's birthday party that we attended some time ago.

Durdle Door panorama

This photo of Durdle Door was taken in summer 2016 during our family holidays in Dorset. I took the photo with my LG G4 smartphone using its panorama mode while handholding the phone. The view was taken from the top, midway from a gruelling steep climb down from the top and before going down to the beach below.

This photo could not have been taken if not for the smartphone. With my Olympus camera I would have taken 2-3 images stitched in the computer to come up with a panorama image. A better image will be captured I am sure but one I am incapable of doing three years ago, even until now. But a few seconds with the LG G4 did the trick!

No. 2

We took the children to Hunstanton for a day-out last summer of 2014. A 1.5-hour car journey, the beach in Hunstanton is the nearest from Peterborough that we know of. We used to go there every year when the boys are still young. This photo is that of a wave breaker or groyne and they are dominant features in the beach of Hunstanton, quite numerous thus explains the numbered pole at the end of each groyne.

I took some photos from this day-out to try and post-process them through Gimp after I read a photo editing workflow from Meet the Gimp Wiki. This is one of those photos. All the photos I took on this day-out were all taken with the Olympus PEN E-PL2 camera and the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm f/3.5-6.3 standard kit lens.

Guitarist

This photo is part of a series of photos I took of a band of musician friends who played in the birthday party of our common friend last autumn 2015. The guitarist in the photo is the cousin of the birthday celebrant.

As the party was held at night time, light was an issue in terms of grain and colour of the images. I thought these band photos will look better in black and white so I converted them in Snapseed app for Android. The photo was captured with the Olympus OMD E-M10 camera mounted with the Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 lens.