7 February 2019

1/12: A frosty morning


I started off my Project 12 photography project in the mid-winter month of January. It almost never happened as I started quite late. I was hoping to capture a moment that best describes January to me - frosty mornings. When I started in the late half of the month, it was still not cold enough to have frost in the mornings.

It did happen one Wednesday morning so I made two photography runs, three actually. The first one was using my Huawei P10 Android smartphone after I drove my wife to the hospital where she worked. It was early morning and still a bit dark. I only took photos of the frost in my car's roof. And they were awful.

All photos were taken with an Olympus OMD E-M5 II micro four thirds camera attached with the Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50 mm f/3.5-6.3 standard kit lens (in macro mode).

So I made another attempt at around 9am, where there is still frost in the grass, bushes and hedge nearby. I then went again at around 11am, this time in our backyard garden but only got a couple of good shots where the frost had melted.

You can see from the photos that my technique still needs a bit of refining. Actually, it was a case of 'use it or lose it' as I have not been photographing with a purpose other that when I document our travels. It was obvious that I have almost forgotten about photography techniques but this is the reason I am doing Project 12, to get into the habit of photographing properly again.

(February is next in the series)