4 June 2023

Meet Ted

 


Ted is the nickname I gave my urban bike, the Cannondale Treadwell 3 Remixte 2020 in black colour. Cannondale describes this bike as "designed to bring a bit of fun and style to the daily runaround. It’s a light, simple, responsive bike for rolling around, meeting up with friends, and getting from here to there with that feeling of freedom that only two wheels can give." And I can confirm that that is exactly what my experience is when riding Ted with my wife and friends.

Like most people during the recent Covid-19 pandemic I got into cycling as a way to endure the many restrictions imposed on our personal lives. Although a bit late than most of our friends in the local Filipino community, my wife and I decided to buy bikes mainly to maintain our fitness. Early on I decided on an urban hybrid bike as I plan to use it to commute to my workplace when everything goes back to normal.

I got Ted from my workplace's Cycle to Work scheme where I get a bike to be paid for 12 months and will be taken from my gross rather than the net income. I first used Ted in late November 2020 and together with my wife and her hybrid bike we went to our local country park. It took us 2.5 hours just to cover 25 kilometres which equates to travelling at a speed of 9.7 km/hr, which just goes to show how badly fit we were at the time. And did I tell that during this cycle journey we probably stopped every 500 metres to catch our breath, too!

61 rides later and I can tell you that we have come a long way regarding our cycling fitness. And thanks to a built-in wheel sensor I know that Ted have travelled with me for 1,963 kilometres so far, exploring a lot of places in Peterborough that I have never dreamt of going. I know that is nothing compared to many of my friends but as a cycling novice that is no mean feat!

Right now Ted is still languishing in the shed together with his partner and if he could talk he would have shouted at me at the top of his rubbery lungs to be let out and enjoy the roads again. Don't worry Ted as summer's here again I will give you a nice wash soon and we will be out riding with the wind again!

All photos were taken with my Google Pixel 3a (https://amzn.to/3ap2wKE)

Photo Gallery