1 October 2018

Short day out in Lower Derwent Valley NNR

View from the NNR office


I joined my work colleagues on the last day of our 2-day team meeting held in late September at the NNR's office in Bank Island.

The Lower Derwent Valley NNR comprises a series of flood meadows, pastures, woodlands and waterways supporting a rich diversity of plant species and outstanding populations of breeding and wintering birds. (Source: Natural England leaflet)

Travel information

Lower Derwent Valley National Nature Reserve (NNR) is located in North Yorkshire. In order to get there I took a 1.5-hour train from Peterborough to York, then a 5-minute walk to the hotel where my colleagues stayed and from there we hopped on to a mini-van for a 20-minute drive to the NNR.

As I was short on time, I planned on taking some photos of York after our meeting as I had at least a half-hour free before I get my train back to Peterborough. Unfortunately, it was raining hard after the meeting even when we arrived at the train station. I did manage to take a photo of York though (see below).

York train station


At the NNR

The highlight of our otherwise banal team meeting was the surprise visit of Ozzy, a barn owl brought along by an NNR volunteer. It was tricky to get a shot of Ozzy since I only brought a camera with a wide-angle prime lens on it but I managed to get a fairly decent shot.

Ozzy the barn owl


After lunch we took a quick walk nearby so I was able to get a few shots of the NNR. We first went to a bird hide but did not manage to find anything interesting. It was a grey and cloudy day so it was not great for photos but the walk was great for my arthritic legs.

Bird hide


View from bird hide




More information

Lower Derwent Valley NNR

My gear