29 October 2018

Peterborough: Treasures - the exhibition

Main | Treasures | Museum of the Moon


One Wednesday I went to see Treasures, an exhibition featuring important objects that represent great treasures of Peterborough's past, at the city museum. These items are borrowed from such well-known museums as the Victoria and Albert Museum and the British Museum, as well as other significant collections.

These treasures, renowned both nationally and internationally, are on display for the first time ever in Peterborough. First shown last 25 August 2018, the exhibition will be in Peterborough Museum until 6 January 2019. The exhibition was held in one of the rooms to the right at the ground floor of the museum. As I entered, I was greeted by a sign that said taking photographs are not allowed. I was disappointed as I was planning to take some photographs. It's a good thing I got hold of a copy of the exhibition guide so I will use that as my 'photographs' for this blog post.

The first dimly-lit room I entered housed two sets of collections borrowed from the British Museum, housed inside glass cases with lights - the Barnack Burial Grave Goods (2330-2130 BC) and the Water Newton Treasure (4th century AD).

In the next dimly-lit room are the other two sets of collections, also housed inside lighted glass cases - the Medieval manuscripts from Peterborough Abbey (12th - 14th century) borrowed from significant collections, and the Becket Casket (ca 1180) borrowed from the Victoria & Albert Museum.

I did not stay long, just half an hour although there are volunteers around if you have questions. I also decided not to browse again the rest of the museum as I did not have a lot of time. I proceeded to the Cathedral to check out the Museum of the Moon, which was my main reason of going to town that day.

More information

Vivacity: Peterborough Museum
Vivacity: Treasures - the exhibition

Huawei P10: https://amzn.to/2CP5lG7




Scanned from exhibition guide

Scanned from exhibition guide
Scanned from exhibition guide
Scanned from exhibition guide