15 October 2018

London day trip: Camley Street Natural Park, Canal trip and King's Cross concourse

Main | Camley Street Natural Park | Canal trip | King's Cross concourse



Five years ago, I had an unusual tour experience in London. I have toured the capital a few times before with my family where we went to the usual top attractions the city offers. What made it different this time is I went to two oases of peace of tranquility, Camley Street Natural Park and Little Venice, where I took a canal trip with work colleagues towards Camden Lock.

I work in a team that is geographically diverse and we try to meet in person at least once a year. So, in 2013 it was in London and more specifically, Camley Street Natural Park for team meeting, which is followed by a quick canal trip from Little Venice to Camden Lock for team-building exercise.



Camley Street Natural Park is a hidden gem not far from London King's Cross rail station. A five-minute walk along a very busy and noisy street, inside the park is a soothing, peaceful and quiet place. The trees that lines the park's fence cuts off the view and noise of the streets.

If you want to get away from the hustle and bustle of busy London even for a short time and you are in the King's Cross railway station area, then Camley Street Natural Park is the place to go.



From one oasis of peace and tranquillity to another off we went, this time in Little Venice, for our team building exercise after finishing the morning's meeting.

But first, we had to get lunch out of the way at a nearby restaurant. Then we headed to Jason's Wharf to wait for the narrowboat. Jason, an authentic century-plus-old canal boat originally used as a cargo vessel before it was converted to a passenger vessel for tourists. The trip with Jason is a 45-minute ride one way to Camden Lock with side commentary.



After an eventful day in Camley Street Natural Park and the narrowboat trip from Little Venice to Camden Lock, I headed to King's Cross railway station for a train back to Peterborough. I missed out on an earlier train, so I had some time to wander around the station.

Earlier that morning, I was very surprised to see the station had a major renovation due to the previous year's London 2012 Olympics. What struck me on my arrival was the huge white structure, the concourse, that appeared to support the roof of the building I was in. It was quite a sight to behold.