10 July 2023

Clock Tower of St Albans



St Albans' Clock Tower is the only surviving medieval town belfry in England and is designated as a Scheduled Ancient Monument. The people of St Albans built the tower, which was completed by 1405 as a symbol of their resistance against the power of the abbot of St Albans. The Tower allowed the town to sound its own hours and, until 1863, the curfew. The Clock Tower's bell rang out for the first Battle of St Albans during the Wars of the Roses in 1455. Today, the tower - and its 600 year old bell - still stands face to face with the abbey's tower and provides fantastic views across over St Albans and far into the Hertfordshire countryside. (Source: St Albans Museums)

Before I went to have a good look inside St Albans Cathedral I wandered around outside its vicinity as there were a few interesting sites to see including the Clock Tower. I walked a little bit around Market Place, the street where the Clock Tower is located before I had a good look of the tower from the outside. The Clock Tower is only open during weekends and bank holidays and it was a Monday when I visited St Albans. The tower also has a long and interesting history as can be seen by the plaques and from Wikipedia, too.

I visited the cathedral city of St Albans in January 2022 when I had a few hours to spare while waiting for my wife attending her lessons from the nearby university in Hatfield. The city is just a 15-minute drive from Hatfield, which is an hour and 15 minutes drive from my city of Peterborough. I decided to just visit two famous places in the city that are close to each other - St Albans Cathedral and the ruins of the Roman Theatre of Verulamium.

All photos were taken with a micro four thirds camera (https://amzn.to/2Qjtg8h) attached with a telephoto zoom lens (https://amzn.to/32TeGWA).

Photo Gallery